I am spilling over with ideas right now for Spring (Spring Fever anyone!?!) and I love this idea for a DIY Spring Wreath Alternative. If you haven’t decided what you want on your door this season, this might be for you! This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
DIY Spring Wreath Alternative
In today’s video, we’re making a DIY Spring Wreath Alternative. Not only would this be beautiful for your Spring decor, but this would be amazing for a wedding! I used purple hydrangeas with burlap ribbon but mix it up for whatever your decor / taste is!
I got the idea to make this when browsing through Kirkland’s last week and say their hydrangea door hangers here and decided, I could totally make this and it look bigger and better. Here’s how:
- 6″ Burlap Ribbon (Michaels)
- 6 Large Hydrangea Stems (Michaels)
- 2″ Styrofoam Balls (Michaels)
- 3″ Embroidery Hoop (Michaels)
- Floral Pins
- Wire Cutters
- Hot glue gun
- glue sticks
- craft mat
How to Make a DIY Spring Wreath Alternative
- Cut a 7″ piece of burlap ribbon to cover the small embroidery hoop. Then cut it in half lengthwise.
- Place a bead of hot glue on the inside of the embroidery hoop where you will start wrapping the ribbon.
- Start the ribbon where the glue is and wrap all the way around the embroidery hoop to cover it. Hot glue the end to finish it off.
- Next, measure out a yard of the ribbon and cut the ribbon in half lengthwise.
- Take a Styrofoam ball, fold the end of the ribbon into a triangle, put a bead of hot glue on the Styrofoam ball and place the folded side of the ribbon on the glue.
- Put a floral pin into the Styrofoam where the ribbon is to secure it.
- Cut hydrangeas from the large stem – leave a little of the stem on. Note: Cut the leaves from the stems first and save them for future projects.
- Use an awl to make 3 small holes in the Styrofoam ball. Then add a bit of hot glue into the holes followed by the hydrangea flowers. Space the flowers pretty close together so you do not see the foam. It goes faster if you do 3-4 holes at a time.
- Continue with the step above until all of the foam is covered.
- Slide the embroidery hook on the ribbon before adding the second ball.
- Complete another Styrofoam ball on the other end of the ribbon using the steps above.
- Now follow the steps above to complete one more set of a yard of ribbon with two foam balls.
- Slide the ribbon up and down until you like the height of how the flowers are hanging, making sure to stagger them.
- Add some hot glue between the layers of ribbon near the embroidery hoop to help keep them in place.
- Create a bow with the burlap ribbon and secure with a zip tie. Then cover the zip tie with a folded piece of burlap and hot glue into place. Note: Step-by-step instructions are on the video.
- Hot glue the bow to the strands of burlap ribbon, just below the hanger.
I just love how it turned out. Try using different colors too, for example, one ball pink and one ball green or mix green and pink together in one ball.
How to Make a DIY Spring Wreath Alternative Video…
If you would like to join my wreath making of the month club, you can join here.
If you enjoyed this post, you might also like: