Today I’m making a fun silk flower arrangement using a small bench as the base! I used blues, yellows and whites to make this a great piece for summer but you could use any colors you would like. This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
DIY Summer Silk Flower Arrangement for Home
In this video we’re decorating a small bench from Hobby Lobby (I know y’all are surprised I was shopping there again!). I added a Styrofoam block to the bench which enabled me to insert silk flowers and greenery to make an arrangement. I left my bench as is but you could easily paint it to match your decor or theme. Just wait until you see the two cute items I added at the end! Here’s how to make it:
Bench (Hobby Lobby)
- Floral foam brick for silk flowers OR Styrofoam
- Silk flower bouquets (I used two from Hobby Lobby)
- Sheet moss
- Floral pins
- Floral wire
- Steel Pick Machine (optional)
- Electric Drill
[Tweet “DIY Summer Silk Flower Arrangement for Home”]
DIY Summer Silk Flower Arrangement for Home:
- Begin by covering the top and sides of floral foam or a Styrofoam block with sheet moss. Secure the moss with floral pins.
- Center the block on the bench and mark the placement.
- If there are not openings in the bench to put wire through, drill two holes in the front and two in the back under where the foam block will go.
- Thread wire pieces through the holes in the bench. Note: If you are not shipping your item, you can skip the wire step and just hot glue.
- Add hot glue all over the bottom of the foam block.
- Place the foam block on the bench and hold it down for a few seconds to let the glue adhere.
- Cris-cross the wire across the foam block and twist to tighten. Cut any extra wire.
- Cut the flowers from the silk flower bushes so you have individual stems.
- Determine which flowers you want to start with, add hot glue to the stems and insert the stems in the foam. I started with the larger blue flowers as my anchor of the arrangement.
- Continue adding flowers and greenery, first adding hot glue to the stems and then inserting the stems into the foam. Vary the heights and angles of the flowers. Note: Make sure as you are adding flowers that you are still able to see the bench. You do not want to completely cover it.
- Next I added a fun bird to the top of the bench. I simply hot glued him on and added a little moss to cover any glue that was showing.
- Lastly, I added a butterfly on the opposite side by hot gluing it to a flower.
DIY Summer Silk Flower Arrangement for Home video…
Here are more pictures..
Wasn’t this fun? You could add spring flowers and maybe some eggs for a Spring arrangement or paint the bench red and make a holiday version!
Let me know if you enjoyed this and don’t forget to join me on Facebook Live, Thursdays 7:30PM EST.
If you enjoy watching me and/or learning to make wreaths of various styles, you should consider joining my Wreath Making of the Month Club, learn more here.
If you enjoyed this post, you might also like: